More airports working towards carbon neutrality as sector makes global progress on CO2 programme
At the Paris COP21 climate summit a year ago, the European airport industry pledged to have 50 carbon neutral airports by 2030. Since then, five more airports in Europe have reached that goal, bringing the total number in Europe to 25. Manchester Airport has now joined the list and become the first UK airport to achieve carbon neutrality, and Munich Airport has just announced plans to become Germany’s first carbon neutral airport. Munich intends to spend 150 million euros ($160m) between now and 2030 on a climate protection programme that aims to reduce CO2 emissions directly attributed to the airport’s operations by 60% over the period, with the remaining 40% taking the form of carbon offsets. Outside Europe, Hyderabad’s Rajiv Gandhi International has become the second Asia-Pacific region airport to achieve carbon neutral status.
First launched by ACI Europe and now rolled out across all international regions of the trade association, the sector’s CO2 management programme, Airport Carbon Accreditation, has four levels of stringency. The highest Levels 3 and 3+, in addition to requiring a reduction in the airport’s own emissions, also require airports to monitor emissions from third party operations – including aircraft on the ground – and to work with business partners to reduce their emissions too. [...]
> Read the article Back to all Industry News