The IATA Environmental Assessment (IEnvA) is a voluntary programme designed to independently assess and improve the environmental management of airlines.
The scope of the IEnvA programme includes greenhouse gas emissions, local air pollution, waste management and noise. IEnvA is based on industry-proven quality assessment principles, and is designed to ensure that each assessment is conducted in a standardized manner to achieve consistent results.
IEnvA is administered by IATA and is compatible and complementary with other IATA Programmes such as the IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) and the IATA Safety Audit program for Ground Operations (ISAGO).
Benefits for airlines
- Independent assessments by accredited environmental assessment organizations, utilizing on-line tools and data exchange
- Continuous updating of standards to reflect regulatory changes and environmental best practices
- Based on the IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) and IATA Safety Audit for Ground Operations (ISAGO) programs
- Reduced regulatory compliance risks, financial benefits from resource saving and demonstration of good environmental governance
- Compatible with other environmental management systems requirements, such as ISO 14001
- Two-stage implementation based on flight operations and corporate activities
- Adoption of IEnvA procedures allows resources to focus on improving environmental perfomance rather than building environmental management system from scratch
- Continual development of additional aviation modules, including Repair and Overhaul (MRO) and Ground Operations (GO)