Verifavia started an innovative partnership with blockchain start-up KeeeX to guarantee the integrity and authenticity of its documents
KeeeX is an independent provider of blockchain technology solutions which aim at providing better authenticity and traceability of documents, processes, and decisions.
The solutions proposed by KeeeX allow Verifavia to validate and protect the final versions of electronic documents (such as opinion verifications, documents of compliance, certificates, etc.). The authenticity and integrity of the documents which have been "KeeeXed" is ensured via the blockchain and can be verified by any third party (Competent Authorities, Classification Societies, Maritime Administrations, etc) through a simple web browser (i.e. 'verification window').
Once a document has been protected by KeeeX mechanism and blockchain, any modification of the original document will invalidate it when it is checked through the verification window.
To make it simple, KeeeX allows to inject digital signature and hash in the metadata of the document in order to seal it and fully ensured its integrity and authenticity. It also allows us to timestamp the file and to record the hash of the document (not the document itself) in a public blockchain to establish proof of the existence of the document on a given date. KeeeX does not have its own blockchain and does not act as a trusted third party, it uses Bitcoin public ledger via a sidechain to ensure scalability and reduce environmental impact. Each keeexed document has its own on-line blockchain certificate, the verification process will also give you the date of the validation, the author and the unique identifier of the document.
Verifavia and KeeeX have signed a partnership and started to collaborate to provide third parties with mechanisms for checking the authenticity of documents provided to them by operators; this mechanism will progressively be extended to all documents delivered by Verifavia during the year 2020.
KeeeX has invented a universal certification process for digital files that allows to embed proofs of integrity, source, date, and existence within documents.
This technology is universal: it indifferently applies to any file format, without perceivable usage impact, and allows for verifying files using a universal tool or web page.
This approach reverses the standard perspective whereby files are placed under control of trusted tiers, document management systems and organizations. These proofs of trust are tamper-proof sealed in the files, so a ‘keeexed’ document can be verified in 10 years, even manually without KeeeX.
A Keeexed File may :
- contain a cryptographic checksum (or several) in the form of a list of pronounceable artificial words (its « IDX ») allowing to verify that the Keeexed File is bitwise unmodified,
- contain a reference to the user’s profile ID
- contain a « name » that keeps it immune to renaming by tiers or operators,
- contain a « description » used to attach unforgeable copyright, confidentiality terms, instructions to recipients or readers, or any other text,
- possibly contain one or several public keys of a PKI digital signing scheme, and the corresponding digital signatures of the IDX by the corresponding private keys or a derivation of these keys,
- possibly contain one or several X.509 certificates allowing for the verification of an embedded signature of the file IDX by the matching private keys
- possibly contain a reference to a Bitcoin blockchain anchoring certificate as can be seen on https://services.keeex.me/timestamps
- possibly contain a reference to a timestamp certificate RFC3161 as generated by a trusted timestamp authority (TSA) also visible here: https://services.keeex.me/timestamps, or in ChainPoint format.
- contain references to other keeexed files, including but not limited to the author profile, the keeexer program, possible previous versions, and more user or application-defined files.
- contain according to the user’s needs technical data related to the context of use and the processes in which the files are useful.