World Ports Climate Initiative (WPCI)
The World Ports Climate Initiative (WPCI) is a global programme to provide ports worldwide with a framework to mitigate their impact on climate change.
The WPCI was launched in 2008 by the International Association of Ports and Harbours (IAPH) and regional Port Organizations.
What are the objectives of the WPCI?
The missions of the WPCI are four-folds, as indicated on its website:
- Raise awareness of the need for action in the port and maritime community
- Initiate studies, strategies, and actions to reduce GHG emissions and improve air quality
- Provide a platform for the maritime port sector for the exchange of information
- Make available information on the effects of climate change on the maritime port environment and measures for its mitigation
How should the carbon footprint be developed?
Under the momentum of WPCI, a Carbon Footprint Working Group was setup to elaborate a Guidance Document for the Carbon Footprinting for Ports. The Guidance Document provides ports with basic information on how to calculate their carbon footprint following the principles established by the GHG Protocol (operational perimeter and organizational boundaries, breakdown of the emission sources in the scopes 1, 2 and 3 depending on the level of control of a source operations, etc.).
The guidance document also includes technical information about how to conduct an emission inventory (including the list of sources usually encountered at ports), data sources for emission factors for various pollutants and emission estimation methods for mobile sources and stationary sources at ports.
The WPCI also developed on-line carbon calculators, respectively for the emissions under the direct control of ports (scopes 1 & 2) and for the emissions that a port authority only guide or influence (scope 3).
Which ports are included in the WPCI?
In 2016, the members of the WPCI included more than 60 ports in Africa, Asia, Australia / Oceania, Europe, North America and South America – the full list is available here.
There are four on-going programs initiated by the WPCI to reduce greenhouse gases emissions and improve air quality:
- Intermodal Transport
- Lease Agreement Template
- Cargo-handling Equipment
- LNG-Fueled Vessels
What are the benefits for ports?
- Reduce costs through effective carbon emissions management
- Communicate about green initiatives to external stakeholders