SAF Program Assurance (SPA) audit for airlines
An increasing number of airlines around the globe are launching their Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF) programs allowing their corporate customers to purchase SAF and reduce the environmental impact of their staff travel (GHG scope 3 emissions). SAF Program Assurance (SPA) is a process through which Verifavia ensures the credibility and robustness of an airline's SAF program.
The main objective of an airline’s SAF Program is to allow its corporate customers to purchase SAF through the airline. Corporate customers participating in the purchase of SAF by the airline demonstrate their commitment to sustainable travel and potentially offset their Scope 3 emissions. SAF certificates are provided by the airline as evidences.
The objectives of a SAF Program Assurance (SPA) audit are as follows:
- Provide assurance that the emissions reductions from the SAF sold are not used anywhere else but in the airline's Scope 1 carbon footprint reporting (with exception of the corporate customer's Scope 3 reporting, if applicable). In particular, the SAF should not be claimed as part of CORSIA, EU ETS, UK ETS, or any other GHG scheme.
- Ensure that the SAF emission reductions are calculated according to the GHG Protocol, and that they are claimed only once (no double counting / no selling of same SAF to several corporate clients).
Phase I (yearly SAF program audit) –
- Interview with key personnel to review the various steps of the overall process of issuance of SAF Certificates (purchases of SAF -> carbon reduction -> issuance of SAF Certificates)
- Audit & analysis of tools, assumptions and methods used to estimate carbon reduction
- Review of all SAF fuel invoices
- Review of all SAF Certificates issued for a given period to confirm that there is no double-counting
Phase II (verification of individual SAF Certificates) –
- Review of all SAF fuel invoices corresponding to the SAF Certificates sold to confirm the number of reductions available, and their transformation into certificates
Please contact us to learn more.
Read about SAF Programs recently launched:
> JetBlue Norwegian
> Delta Cargo